What to ask your Surgeon before Breast Implant Surgery
If you may be considering Breast Implant Surgery there are many factors to consider and finding a board certified plastic surgeon is of the utmost importance. With cosmetic procedures being so popular, many doctors promote themselves as plastic surgeons. Any doctor can make that claim who attended medical school, but at FloridaPlasticSurgeons.com we only enlist Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.
We have compiled a list of questions to ask your doctor at your consultation. Do not be timid because this will help you get informed and it will also let the doctor know you have done your due diligence. Should you decide to have your breast implant surgery you will have all the information and the confidence that you made the best choices for you.
Questions for your Surgeon:
- Are you a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?
- How long have you been a plastic surgeon and how many breast implant procedures do you perform monthly/yearly?
- Have you or are you involved in any medical malpractice suits?
- Are you affiliated with any hospitals and if so which ones?
- Can I see some before and after pictures of work you have done?
- Can you provide patient references or testimonials?
- Am I a better candidate for Silicone Breast Implants or Saline Breast Implants?
- Do you recommend a smooth breast implant or a textured breast implant?
- What breast implant shape would you recommend? Round breast implant or anatomical breast implant?
- What breast size for my body type and frame would you recommend?
- What breast implant profile would you recommend? High profile breast implant, moderate profile breast implant or low profile breast implant?
- Is it possible I will lose some sensation in my breasts or nipples?
- Can I breast feed after breast implants? Will mammograms be less accurate in detecting breast cancer? Will I need to get an ultrasound in addition to my yearly mammogram screening?
- Do you have any information that you would suggest I read or look at after I leave here today?
Breast Implant Risks and Complications:
- What are the possible risks or complications of breast implant surgery?
- Do the breast implants have a warranty? Do they vary by manufacturer?
- Is there a possibility of a rupture?
- If I have any breast implant complications, what is your policy? Do you recommend a cosmetic surgery insurance policy?
Before Breast Implant Surgery:
- What changes will I need to make prior to breast implant surgery? Any special diet or regimen?
- Is there something I can take to help control any swelling, bruising, pain?
- Give a list of your current vitamins and medications and ask if they are ok to take prior to surgery, and if the anesthesia will have any effect.
- Where will my breast implant surgery be performed? In the office or in a surgical center? Are they set up for any life threatening emergencies?
- What hospital would I be taken to if there is an emergency?
- Am I going to be given General Anesthesia? If so, will it be administered by a certified anesthesiologist?
Recovery from Breast Implant Surgery:
- If I have any problems after I go home, what should I do?
- How long should I expect recovery to be and how much time do I need to take off from work?
- Is there anything I should not being doing, such as exercise and when can I get back to my regular routine?
Breast Implant Costs:
- What is included in your fees?
- If I am not happy with the results and need a revision, will there be additional fees?
- If there are any complications after surgery, will there be any additional fees?
- How much is the deposit and when is it due? When is the remainder due?
- Do you offer financing?
- How can I make payment? Do you take credit cards?
- If I change my mind, is my deposit refundable?
All of these questions should give you all of the answers you need to make the best decisions on what is best for you. Establishing a good relationship with your doctor is very important and with all this knowledge you should be on your way to deciding the best breast implant surgery for you.